Walleye, known for their delicate bites and cunning nature, require a rod that perfectly balances sensitivity and strength. To begin an ice-fishing adventure for walleye can be both exhilarating and rewarding. However, selecting the right ice fishing rod is essential to boost your chances of landing the elusive walleye beneath the frozen surface.
A rod length ranging from 24 to 36 inches is the most popular option for walleye ice fishing. A shorter rod of 24-28 inches is ideal for fishing in shallower waters or tight spaces. It offers better control and sensitivity for vertical jigging. Fast or medium-fast action is best for walleye fishing.
Walleye is a predatory fish native to North America related to the European Zander. It is a tasty fish frequently caught for enjoyment and consumption. They grow over a meter in length and weigh over 20 lbs.
Understand Walleye Ice Fishing Rod Sizes, Reels, And Lines
You can find walleye a few feet from the bottom. They like edges and drop-offs as much as they favor points, bars, and rock piles. They will be in deeper water in the middle of the season instead of shallower water in the early and late seasons. It is best to have two different ice fishing rods for walleye, one of the backbone for fishing around structure and depth and a second rod with sensitivity for shallower water finesse.
Walleye rods are available in various lengths, powers, and actions, each serving a distinct function. Jigging is the most effective method for ice fishing, and you will need sensitivity in shallow water so you neither pull your jig out of the strike zone nor out of a fish’s mouth.
Ice fishing rods are usually shorter than traditional fishing rods. They typically range between 24 to 36 inches long. The length of the rod will affect casting distance, sensitivity, and overall leverage. A shorter rod offers better control and sensitivity, while a longer rod provides increased casting distance and better line management.
Remember that what works well for others may not work for you. However, there are some basic things to understand about reels that you need for walleye. The selection of the perfect reel for walleye fishing depends on your fishing style and preferences. Your reel does more than retrieve lines.
A walleye fishing line or leader should be around 10lb test monofilament or fluorocarbon. Monofilament floats and keeps your bait in place, whether surface fishing, slow trolling, or slow retrieving. Fluorocarbons are different because they are more resistant to wear than Mono. Additionally, they are immune to water and UV light. It is more sensitive when fishing and lasts longer than Mono.
Factors To Consider When Looking For A Ice Fishing Rod
A successful fishing excursion depends on selecting the correct walleye ice fishing rod. There are several aspects to consider when purchasing a walleye fishing rod to guarantee you get the appropriate one. There is a vast selection of walleye fishing rods from various brands. Here are some of the most important factors to keep in mind:
- Rod Length – Walleye fishing rods are typically 6 to 8 feet long. Shorter rods offer better accuracy and control, while longer rods offer greater casting distance
- Rod Power – The strength of a rod refers to its power, which establishes how much weight it can support. Different rod powers handle a particular range of lure weights and line sizes. The typical power of walleye fishing rods is medium to medium-light, which is perfect for catching walleye
- Action – Action refers to the flexing a rod experiences when you place pressure on its tip. The finest rod for walleye fishing has a medium-speed or rapid action because it enables quick hook settings and high sensitivity for detecting nibbles. Rods with moderate action flex more in the center of the blank. Rods with a slower motion flex into the butt region
- Sensitivity – Sensitivity is essential for feeling your lure’s movement and detecting bites. With a sensitive rod, you can feel the slightest motions, making it easier to tell when a walleye is biting
- Materials – The substance influences the rod’s weight, sensitivity, and durability. Due to its lightweight and sensitivity, graphite is preferred for walleye fishing rods, although fiberglass is more robust and offers superior shock absorption
The Ideal Size Rod For Walleye Fishing
Depending on the fisherman’s technique, location, and preferences, a walleye fishing pole’s size might differ. Every length has its benefits. You can choose the perfect walleye fishing rod by knowing the many sizes available. Below are some standard measurements and features to consider:
- Shorter Rods (6 to 6.5 feet) – Shorter walleye fishing rods, usually 5 to 6.5 feet long, are the best choice for fishing in places or regions with dense cover because they provide exceptional precision and control. These rods are particularly effective for vertical jigging, where accurate presentations are necessary to draw walleye hiding on the surface or near the bottom
- Medium-Length Rods (6.5 to 7 feet) – Medium-length walleye fishing rods between 6.5 and 7 feet long, balance casting range and accuracy. Since they are flexible and suitable for a variety of techniques, these rods are popular among many walleye fishermen
- Longer Rods (7 to 7.5 feet) – Anglers who value casting range and cover more water should choose longer walleye fishing rods, typically 7 to 7.5 feet long. These rods are advantageous when fishing in bigger lakes, reservoirs, or broad open waterways. You can access far-off fishing locations with them, and they improve line control during longer casts
- Ultra-Light Rods – The design of ultra-lightweight walleye fishing rods focuses primarily on finesse techniques. Ultra-light rods are suitable for finesse presentations utilizing tiny jigs, soft plastics, or live bait because they are susceptible and suited for light-line use
- Telescopic Rods – Anglers who favor mobility and the simplicity of traveling should choose telescopic walleye fishing rods. These rods are excellent for travel and hiking trips because they may collapse to a small size. They come in a variety of lengths, and you can extend them to conventional walleye rod sizes, giving fishermen the freedom to select the ideal length for their fishing requirements
You can enhance your fishing experience and chances of success on the ice by selecting the proper size ice fishing pole for walleye. Consider the fishing location, technique, and your personal preferences when choosing a rod. Additionally, pay attention to the rod’s action, power, material, construction, balance, and comfort.